Friday, September 9, 2011

God's love is not Blind

I got in my car this morning, turned on the radio, and heard a song I had not heard before.  I like new music.  I couldn't tell you the artist.  I couldn't tell you the name of the song.  All I remember is that there was one phrase in the chorus that stuck with me.  I don't even remember it verbatim but it basically said, "I'm glad God's love towards me is blind".  I don't know about you but in my rose colored world, blind love is not necessarily the best thing.
My understanding is that this particular artist has the assumption that all the things that separate us from God are overlooked and not even acknowledged by God because of how great the love is for God's people.  This bothers me.  The chasm that separates humanity from creator should not be on so slight of terms.  It is true that the atoning blood of Jesus Christ covers the sin that separates and we are a new creation in Christ.  It is also true that God knows the many ways I have and continue to hurt him through my sinful nature.  He loves so much that he chooses to forgive the grief, pain, hurt, and separative things I've done.  He loves so much that those are set aside.  He does not love blindly.  It would be a contradiction of the nature of God.  How can God be omnipotent and love blindly?  How could Christ share in our humanity if he did not know the things we do?  God is not oblivious to our sin.  He acknowledges it by forgiving us for our folly.

No comments:

Post a Comment