Friday, December 26, 2014

Gift Giving

This Christmas season I'll admit I have been amongst those who really just want to make it through the season and hope that somewhere along the way I will take time to breathe and reflect on Christ's birth in a meaningful way.  I love the Advent season that rolls into Christmas.  The anticipation of celebration, the reunion of family, the familiar sights and smells that bring a comfort of home are all elements that bring me joy.  Sometimes, I become so wrapped up within the season that I don't take time to enjoy the season. 

One thought struck me this season as I drove home from celebrating with my family was the joy of gift giving.  As adults, we can use a refresher in gift giving from children.  Naturally in our commercial driven and over saturated culture, gift giving has become to some, obligatory, a burden, and an expectation.  I personally like taking the little time I have to wander to different stores and search for an item that the recipient will open, not expect, and make them feel loved.  The excitement or pleasure of finding the perfect gift is often reflected in the story of "The Gift of the Magi" this time of year.  This year, in my own celebrations of Christmas, it was reflected in receiving gifts from children.  Items ranging from a tissue box crafted into a "memory box" for keepsakes, a cookie plate, a smiley face pencil, specially decorated cookies, a fuzzy puppy with a pink scarf, and even a bug ring were given with such excitement and pride to be able to share in the art of gift giving.  I know that each item was selected by the kids as fore-warned by each parent to emphasize the skill of selection of their children.  And while I love each token gift dearly, I was most appreciative of the excitement in giving.  From the somewhat understandable "present" from a small child as he pulls the gift out of his mothers hand to the "open mine first" as a gift is placed in my lap, it made me more excited to open it when they were just as excited to give. Kids have got it down. "If I'm excited...you're excited!"
If a child can be so excited to select a small token out of love to share, how much more excited must our Father in Heaven have been to share His gift of love through the form of a Child.  The perfect gift for humanity carefully chosen to come and be amongst the people of earth to show compassion, love, teach forgiveness, and to repair the chasm separating humanity from God through the resurrection.  How can we not be excited about that?!  At Christmas we come together and celebrate the birth of Christ.  At Christmas, how God must be pleased that we take time to recognize the beautiful gift given to us through Scripture, readings, and song.  At Christmas, may we not forget to be excited to help others recognize the gift of Salvation through Christ so they may embrace the joy of receiving Gods love.

No comments:

Post a Comment