Thursday, August 8, 2013

Identity Complex

This previous week a discussion arose in the media over  the popular modern hymn "In Christ Alone".  I first became aware of the public discussion due to a post from the EFCA on my facebook feed.  It took me by surprise and I found myself mulling over how and why their response to the issue came across in a such a negative light.  The discussion was one that had already been started between myself and my pastor earlier this spring.  At first, the fact that we even had the discussion, which centered on the text of the lyrics, bothered me. How can I serve in ministry with someone or a denomination that questions the text of a hymn heralded for its theological content?  I'm so glad we had the discussion.  I work in an honest environment that gives me the space to live out respectfully my faith and not feel out of place.  See my pastor's response to the public discussion here.

Still feeling pretty new to the PCUSA, I tend to chew on some of the differences that come across my path and run them through the gammit of evangelical litmus I have always known.  The fun part is running the litmus on my own, and not feeling like the black sheep for having a different view.  I appreciate being a part of a church that allows discussion of differences and doesn't get hung up over them.

So where does my identity complex come from?  On occasion, I have vocalized that I am a product of the Evangelical Free Church.  I speak it in jest, yet from age 12 I have been taught, mentored, encouraged, and still am by faithful men and women who align themselves with the EFCA.  It is a beautiful thing because I know my faith would not be as strong without the saints God has placed in my life.  And thus, after worshiping, earning my bachelors, interning, and serving with the EFCA, my first "real job" in music ministry has placed me in a Presbyterian Church.  I'm sure this decision has given me a couple skeptics, and it definitely has placed a few "really?" glances when I tell others where I get to serve in ministry.  It's a bit disorienting.   I'm not a traitor.  I haven't gone over to the dark side.  I love Jesus.  The ultimate act of love from God is the death and resurrection of Christ on the cross which is the only way for the broken relationship caused by sin to be restored.

I can't say I'm wholly Evangelical.  I can't say I'm wholly Presbyterian.  These are labels that define where I serve but not who I am.  I am a disciple of Christ who strives to be open to God's direction through the Holy Spirit and desires to encourage the local church to seek God in a way that allows them to impact the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment